Atascadero

SLO County pays into renewed statewide coalition to combat offshore oil drilling

SLO County pays into renewed statewide coalition to combat offshore oil drilling

San Luis Obispo County is formally back in the fight against offshore oil drilling.

At its Aug. 18 meeting, the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors voted 3-2 to contribute $25,000 to Santa Cruz County, the lead agency in a revived statewide coalition of local governments working to block federal plans to open California's coastal waters to new oil and gas leasing, the New Times SLO (Atascadero) reported.

The contribution secures SLO County's seat in the Local Government Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Coordination Program — a coalition that first formed in 1980 during the Reagan administration and disbanded in 1994 after offshore expansion was halted and the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary was designated. Santa Cruz County revived the group last year under 3rd District Supervisor Justin Cummings.

For Atascadero residents and others across the North County, the decision matters beyond symbolism: the federal government's draft leasing program includes areas off the Central Coast that could be opened to drilling between 2027 and 2029.

What the Federal Leasing Plan Proposes

The renewed coalition exists to counter a U.S. Department of the Interior proposal to offer oil and gas leases in federal waters under its 11th National Outer Continental Shelf Program. If approved, waters off California under federal jurisdiction would be open to lease sales over the next five years.

According to the New Times report, a Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) map shows a federally designated area near Northern California touching the Oregon border would open in 2029; an area near the Central Coast would open between 2027 and 2029; and an area near Southern California would open from 2027 to 2030. The draft program proposes six offshore lease sales off the California coast.

Richard Charter, whom Santa Cruz County hired to operate the coordination program — and who ran the original coalition from 1980 to 1994 — told New Times the current effort is more serious than the one four decades ago. He said the Trump administration is ignoring national marine sanctuary protections that are meant to prevent offshore drilling.

"Back in the early '80s, we were having more oil spills primarily due to poor inspection and poor monitoring, combined with aging infrastructure," Charter said. "The whole orientation of the federal program is now aimed at opening new areas that they've never been able to open. … So, is this more dangerous than the early '80s? Absolutely."

A Local Legacy: Measure A and the 'Blue Wall'

SLO County has been down this road before. The original coalition's success in the 1980s and '90s rested largely on what Charter called "California's Blue Wall" — more than two dozen local ordinances, some passed directly by voters, that restricted or prohibited onshore support facilities for new offshore drilling.

SLO County's contribution to that wall was Measure A, approved by county voters in 1986, which remains part of the county's local coastal program today.

The coalition's updated strategy, Charter told New Times, is to create a chilling effect on lease bidding by adding to the ordinances that still exist and advocating to strengthen the ban on using existing state infrastructure for new federal leases. The California Coastal Sanctuary Act, which permanently prohibits new oil and gas leases in state waters extending up to 3 nautical miles from shore, is another layer of protection the group points to.

The Vote and the Dissent

The board's approval was not unanimous. 1st District Supervisor John Peschong and 5th District Supervisor Heather Moreno dissented, and according to New Times, they joined two county residents at the Aug. 18 meeting in questioning whether taxpayer money should be sent to Santa Cruz County.

That pushback prompted 4th District Supervisor Jimmy Paulding to request a report from Santa Cruz County detailing how SLO County's contribution is spent.

Charter told New Times the funding goes toward "legislative and procedural engagement" — keeping counties informed about how to participate and tracking the many procedural deadlines in the federal leasing process.

"The idea is counties need to be informed about how they can best participate, kept up on the deadlines, because there are a lot of deadlines, and that enables them to be working in a coordinated fashion," he said. "Nobody's missed a deadline yet because I keep them up to date."

2nd District Supervisor Bruce Gibson, who championed the contribution, said he'd followed the program's efforts for a while and received a specific funding request a little over a month ago.

"I've been impressed with their organization and energy in carrying the anti-offshore oil message — I've also been increasingly concerned about the Trump administration's relentless attacks on California's coastal protections," Gibson told New Times by email. "For those two reasons, I thought the time was right for SLO County to make a clear statement of our values and help fund the effort."

A Growing Coalition

SLO County joins Monterey, Marin, San Mateo, and Sonoma counties and the city of Monterey, which have contributed between $1,000 and $30,000 each to the revived effort. Santa Cruz County and the city of Santa Cruz each paid $29,000, bringing the coalition's total funding to $192,000, according to New Times.

The supervisors' vote follows their December 2025 resolution reaffirming the county's opposition to new and existing offshore oil drilling and seabed mining. Peschong was the sole dissenter on that earlier resolution.

For a county whose coastline includes Morro Bay, Avila Beach, and the waters off Montaña de Oro — and whose economy leans heavily on tourism, fishing, and coastal recreation — the stakes are familiar ones. Residents who lived through the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill and decades of local battles over offshore platforms have seen this fight before. Now, county leaders have decided, it's a fight worth funding again.

Reported by 805.life

Researched and written drawing on primary sources. Additional reporting: New Times SLO (Atascadero).

Additional Reporting

New Times SLO (Atascadero)

Published

August 20, 2026

Reported and written by 805.life

Explore AtascaderoAll Atascadero News

More News from Atascadero

Morro Bay considers skipping November electionAtascadero
New Times SLO (Atascadero)· Aug 20, 2026

Morro Bay considers skipping November election

Morro Bay might skip its November election this year, and honestly, it’s a move that makes you stop and think. With only three candidates stepping up for three open seats—including Mayor Carla Wixom—the city is considering canceling the vote and just appointing them. That would save about $30,000, which is no small chunk of change for a coastal town. It’s a practical call, but it also raises a bigger question: what does it mean when nobody wants to run? For us here on the Central Coast, this feels familiar. Local races often go uncontested, and while saving money is nice, it also means fewer voices in the room. New Times SLO (Atascadero) reported this story, and it’s worth reading if you care about how our neighbors handle civic life. Whether you’re in Morro Bay or Atascadero, it’s a reminder that our local governments run on people stepping up—and when they don’t, we all lose a little bit of that democratic spark.

Three candidates vie for Paso Robles 2nd District seatAtascadero
New Times SLO (Atascadero)· Aug 20, 2026

Three candidates vie for Paso Robles 2nd District seat

Paso Robles voters in the 2nd District have a real choice this November, and it’s about time. For the past four years, Councilmember Chris Bausch has been at the center of a storm at City Hall—one that ended with lawsuits and over $840,000 in settlements and legal costs. That’s a lot of taxpayer money, and it’s weighed on the community. Now, Bausch is asking for another term, but he’s not running unopposed this time. Two challengers are stepping up, and that’s a healthy sign for local democracy. For those of us in the 805, this race is more than just a council seat—it’s about how we want our local government to work. The Central Coast is tight-knit, and when a council race gets this contentious, it echoes beyond Paso Robles. New Times SLO (Atascadero) has been covering the fallout, and it’s worth paying attention to. Whoever wins will have to rebuild trust and focus on the basics: roads, water, housing, and keeping our small-town feel. If you live in the 2nd District, this is your chance to weigh in—don’t sleep on it.

Cannabis tax increase relief comes after summer increaseAtascadero
New Times SLO (Atascadero)· Aug 13, 2026

Cannabis tax increase relief comes after summer increase

Good news for local farmers: the county is rolling back the cannabis cultivation tax from 8 percent back to 6 percent this fall, just months after the increase took effect. Growers across the North County, including many in and around Atascadero, had told supervisors that the automatic bump was squeezing an industry already dealing with falling prices and tight margins. The Board of Supervisors listened and passed an ordinance on Aug. 4 to ease that burden—a rare bit of relief in what's been a tough season for the greenhouses and fields that dot our hills. This matters beyond the growers themselves. Cannabis is one of the biggest economic engines in SLO County, and when cultivators struggle, it ripples through local jobs, equipment suppliers, and even the tax revenue that funds county services. Atascadero residents might not see the change directly, but keeping local farms viable helps preserve our rural character and the open spaces we love. The New Times SLO (Atascadero) report notes the rollback takes effect this fall, so if you're in the industry, watch for the lower rate on your next filing. For the rest of us, it's a small but meaningful sign that local government can pivot when businesses speak up.