Media, Military Members Held at Gunpoint at Vandenberg SFB Despite Escort, Invitation

For those of us who chase Vandenberg launches from the bluffs and backroads of the Central Coast, the base's gates are usually an afterthought — a line you flash credentials at on the way to a remote camera site or a media viewing area. But this week, that gate became the story.
As Noozhawk reported, five journalists — including two from Noozhawk, plus representatives of KSBY, News Channel 3-12, and the Santa Maria Times/Lompoc Record — and two military members were held at gunpoint Monday afternoon by Vandenberg security forces who apparently believed the group were "gate runners," despite the convoy being escorted by uniformed base public affairs staff and carrying proper identification and invitations.
What Happened on California Boulevard
According to Noozhawk's account, the convoy was headed to a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Sentinel Formal Training Unit. A government minivan with public affairs staff led the way, and the media vehicles — two of them bearing television station markings — followed standard practice: the escort pulled over past the main gate to wait for everyone to clear before proceeding.
At least one security forces member raised a "gate runners" alert, prompting the 30th Security Forces Squadron to drop metal barricades across California Boulevard. One by one, drivers and passengers were ordered out of their vehicles at gunpoint, hands raised. The two military members — one enlisted, one a junior officer — were handcuffed and placed in base vehicles; the civilians were told to sit on the curb. The ordeal lasted more than 30 minutes, long enough that the ceremony the group had been invited to cover was over before they arrived.
Noozhawk editor in chief Tom Bolton called it "a failure on multiple levels" and said the base owes apologies to the journalists involved. After the group was released, one security forces member did offer an apology, Noozhawk reported.
The Base's Explanation
A Space Launch Delta 30 Public Affairs spokeswoman told Noozhawk that Vandenberg has seen "an increased number of unauthorized entry attempts," and that when the media entered, "there was a breakdown in communication and movement continued prior to verification."
"Every potential unauthorized presence must be treated as a legitimate threat until proven otherwise," she said, adding that "the security of the base and its personnel is our priority."
Why This Matters to the 805 Launch Community
If you follow launches from SLC-4E and SLC-6, you know Vandenberg's footprint is far bigger than rockets. The base has for decades trained the Air Force's missile combat crew operators and maintainers, and Monday's ill-fated ceremony was for a facility tied directly to that mission — the Sentinel program, the next-generation land-based ICBM set to replace the long-serving Minuteman III.
Space Launch Delta 30 commander Col. James Horne, speaking at the event the detained journalists never got to see, described the planned 160,000-square-foot campus as a place that will "bring missile operator and maintainer training together in one integrated environment" — "a commitment to our airmen, to our allies and to every American who depends upon a credible and strong deterrent."
The incident is also a reminder of how much the media relationship with the base matters to those of us on the outside looking in. The local reporters detained Monday are the same ones who show up, escorted and credentialed, to cover the launches, landings, and milestones that make the 805 one of the most interesting space communities in the country. Several of those held, Noozhawk noted, were young reporters on their first jobs out of college; others were veterans of the base's access procedures.
With Sentinel construction ramping up alongside an ever-busier launch cadence, expect more convoys, more ceremonies, and more activity at those gates. Here's hoping the next one goes smoother than Monday's.
Reported by 805.life
Written for Central Coast launch fans, drawing on original reporting by Noozhawk.
Additional Reporting
NoozhawkPublished
August 17, 2026
Topic
Vandenberg
More Launch News
VandenbergLive coverage: SpaceX to send Starlink satellites to orbit with Tuesday night launch from California
A 24-satellite Starlink batch is set to lift off from pad 4E at Vandenberg SFB at 8:45 p.m. PDT Tuesday. Night launches from the base are often visible across the Central Coast, making this a prime viewing opportunity for local fans.
SpaceX just launched a secret payload from California
SpaceX flew a classified U.S. Space Force mission out of Vandenberg SFB, the kind of NRO/Space Force national security launch Central Coast watchers see regularly from the Western Range. Details are scarce given the classified payload, so expect limited webcast coverage and sparse official information. Still, it's a local launch event worth noting for sonic booms, road closures, and viewing opportunities.
Space Force orders two more Impulse Space vehicles for maneuvering demonstrations
The Space Force's expansion of Impulse Space's contract for Victus Salo 2 and 3 signals growing investment in responsive on-orbit maneuvering capabilities from Vandenberg-based U.S. Space Force units. Impulse Space, founded by former SpaceX propulsion chief Tom Mueller, is developing vehicles that could factor into future Western Range missions. This is a notable development for followers tracking the broader launch and space ecosystem tied to Vandenberg.